Dear Class of 2023 Parent/Guardian,
Happy Fall! The Senior Moderators are excited to support our Senior Class as it prepares for the myriad of upcoming events unique to this year. We look forward to celebrating and honoring our seniors as they enjoy these traditional experiences at Mercy and prepare for the transition to college.
As we move through this school year, students will participate in events and enjoy various avenues in which to create memories. Below is a list of the major events and activities scheduled throughout the year. Each Senior Class Officer Board, however, is able to create new events tailored to the spirit of their class to be added to this list. All of this
information can also be found on the Senior Class webpage.
This Fall, the Seniors had the opportunity to participate in the following events:
- Senior Parking Lot Fundraiser: The senior class started the year off with a fundraiser to purchase parking lot spots and personalize them. The funds from this event assist in lowering the cost of Prom at the end of the year. We invite you to carefully drive through the parking lot to see their creativity or check out the following news stories about it: WDIV video segment, the Detroit Free Press article, the KQ Education Group news, and the Hometown Life photos.
- Senior Spirit Week T-shirts: The students designed and purchased these shirts to celebrate their year and proudly wear during the senior tailgate that was held on Field Day during Spirit week, prior to Homecoming.
- Senior Blessing: This special Mass was held during the Welcome Back Mass on the first day of school to welcome back all Mercy students and celebrate the role and significance of this year’s senior class. All of the seniors received a medallion which received a special blessing by the priest. These medallions are now part of their cap and gown.
- Senior Spirit Wear: The seniors have had the opportunity to design and purchase senior spirit wear in the form of sweatshirts. They will be able to place orders within the next week. Once the sweatshirts are delivered, the seniors are allowed to wear them on a designated day each week with their uniform skirts. These shirts are optional to purchase.
In the Spring, Seniors will have the opportunity to participate in the events described below. Detailed information pertaining to tickets, timing, and deadlines will be communicated via email or on the senior website as we approach these dates.
- Prom: Prom will be held May 11, 2023 at the Roostertail in Detroit. Information on the theme, ticket pricing, and dress code will be communicated closer to the date via email or the senior webpage.
- Baccalaureate Mass: This event is scheduled for Wednesday, May 17 at 6 p.m. at Mercy High School to honor the graduating seniors and offer a final blessing as they transition to a new stage in life. Also, following Mass, the seniors partake in a Rose ceremony which dates back to the original Mercy building on Outer Drive designed to honor our Mary, our Patroness. Parents and family members are welcome and encouraged to attend. There will be a small reception following the Mass.
- Graduation Practice: Practice will be held on June 1, 2023 from 10 a.m. at the Detroit Opera House. This practice lasts two hours and if a student is not present, she will NOT be allowed to walk at graduation. Graduates will park in the parking structure and the cost will be paid for by Mercy on this day only.
- Graduation Gown: In order to participate in the graduation ceremony, every Senior must have her white graduation gown approved by Dr. Cheryl Kreger or her assistant, Mrs. Marlene Wojcik. You are welcome to bring your choice of dress to the Advancement Office for approval during the school day or you can send a picture of the front and back of the dress or a picture of you wearing the dress. Send pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. All seniors must have their dress approved by May 1, 2023. More info here.
- Graduation: Graduation will occur on Sunday, June 4 at 2 p.m. at the Detroit Opera House. This ceremony will last approximately 2 hours and graduates are expected to arrive by 1:15 p.m. to report backstage. Doors will open to guests at 1:30 p.m. and all seating will be available on a first come, first served basis. More information will be communicated via the senior page on Mercy’s web page, as well as other communication platforms as we are closer to the date.
- Graduation Sayings: As part of graduation tradition, the seniors are required to select sayings which represent their sentiments about graduation, high school, or transitioning to a new stage in their lives. These sayings will be read as each student walks across the stage to receive their diploma.
In addition, Seniors will have opportunities to participate in other activities including:
- Memory Video: New this year, this video will be available to all students and includes memories from each year, as well as the students’ baby and senior photos. The students have been requested to submit photos from each year to the officer email or Instagram account. The deadlines for submitting the photos are as follows:
- Baby Photos: Nov. 30
- Freshman year: Sept. 30
- Sophomore year: Oct. 31
- Junior Year: Nov. 30
- Senior Year: First Semester: Jan. 13; Second Semester: April 21, 2023
Any additional information will be communicated throughout the year and if you have any questions, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank You & God Bless,
Senior Class Moderators
Mrs. Brandi Lavely
Ms. Angela Harris