2023 Make a Difference All School Service Day
Mercy High School is proud to present our Annual Mercy Make a Difference Day on Thursday, September 21. On this day during Spirit Week, staff and students will be going out into the community to do service. Imagine what an impact 600+ people doing 3 hours of service will have! We are expecting 100% attendance, so please do not schedule college visits or doctor appointments.
- School will start at 8:00 a.m. with a meeting in Adviser Group followed by a short prayer service, directions for the day, and boarding of the buses.
- Students will travel to the location and work with their Adviser and Adviser Group from approximately 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. doing a variety of service tasks. Students will earn 3 hours of community service toward their graduation requirement.
- The buses will bring the groups back to school. Lunch will be provided.
- The day will end at 1:45 p.m.
- Students will wear either a maroon or gold Mercy spirit shirt. If you have a Mercy Make A Difference Day shirt from previous years, feel free to wear. Please reach out to Mission and Ministry if your daughter does not have a shirt.
Please note that while the Mercy permission slip and medical release form were already submitted in FinalForms, some of the work sites require additional permission forms. Students who receive an additional permission form from their Adviser, are required to sign and submit prior to September 21. Participation is mandatory. The Mercy Make a Difference Day Committee has coordinated with many organizations that are counting on us for our service. The goal is to have all of Mercy working together in the community.
What happens if my daughter is absent?
Students who miss Make a Difference Day may jeopardize their participation in the Homecoming Dance. Any student not in attendance will be expected to provide 3 hours of service. If this is a pre-arranged absence, this service needs to be completed prior to 9/21. Students absent because of illness or injury will still be required to provide service. Approval for the Homecoming Dance will be made on an individual basis. If your daughter has a pre-arranged commitment on September 21, documentation of the absence and prior service completion will be expected to attend the Homecoming Dance. Please contact the Office of Mission and Ministry to find service opportunities throughout the school.
Please make sure your daughter is appropriately dressed to do service activities. Jeans, sweats, athletic or comfortable pants; sturdy, closed-toe shoes; and the Mercy spirit shirt are necessary. Students may bring sunscreen and bug spray if needed. More specific details on dress will be provided by your daughter’s Adviser. Please note: Most sites suggest bringing heavy-duty gardening gloves.
In keeping with the Sisters of Mercy Critical Concern of care for the Earth, plastic water bottles will not be provided. We ask that ALL students bring their own water bottle from home to fill prior to loading the the bus. Making sure it is labeled with the student name will be helpful as well.