Submitted on Tue, 09/18/2018 - 10:13am
Mercy High School is proud to present the 6th annual:
Mercy Make a Difference Day
Friday, September 28, 2018
On this day, during Spirit Week, the entire Mercy School, staff and students, will be going out into the community to do service. Imagine what an impact 750 people doing 3 hours of service can do! We are expecting 100% attendance so please do not make college visits or doctor appointments on that day.
Schedule for the Day
- School will start at 8:00 a.m. with a meeting in Adviser Group followed by a short prayer service, directions for the day and boarding of the buses.
- Students will travel to the location and work with their Adviser and Adviser Group from approximately 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. doing a variety of service tasks. Students will earn 3 hours of community service towards their graduation requirement.
- The buses will bring the groups back to school. Lunch will be provided.
- The day will end at 1:45 p.m.
- Students need to wear their Mercy Make A Difference Day t-shirt. We are asking students to bring these in ahead of time to make sure they have them the morning of the event to wear to the site they are assigned. New students will receive a t-shirt the day of the event.
Permission Slip & Medical Forms
Thank you for completing the permission slip and medical form on Privit this year. If yours is still not completed CLICK HERE to access Privit. Please complete these forms by Friday, September 21. Students who do not have completed forms will be assigned service at Mercy High School. Participation is mandatory. The Mercy Make a Difference Day Committee has coordinated with many organizations that are counting on us for our service on that day. The goal is to have all of Mercy (students and staff) working together in the community.
Students who do not participate may jeopardize their participation in further Spirit Week activities including the Homecoming Dance. All students not in attendance (due to pre-arranged absence, illness or injury) will still be expected to give 3 hours of service through Mercy either during unscheduled hours or before and after school.This must be completed in order to attend Homecoming. If your daughter has a pre-arranged commitment on September 28 documentation of the absence and prior service completion will be expected to attend Homecoming. Please contact Campus Ministry to find service opportunities throughout the school.
Please make sure your daughter is appropriately dressed to do service on that day. Jeans or comfortable pants, sturdy, closed-toe shoes and the service day t-shirt is necessary. Students may bring sunscreen and bug spray if needed. More specific details on dress will be provided by your daughter's Adviser. Please note that most sites suggest bringing heavy-duty gardening gloves.
WATER BOTTLES - NEW THIS YEAR!
To keep with Mercy's focus this year on the Critical Concern of the Sisters of Mercy Care for the Earth, plastic water bottles will not be provided. We ask that ALL students bring a recyclable water bottle from home to fill prior to loading the bus. Making sure it is marked with the student's name would be helpful as well.
Parent volunteers are welcome to join us for the day. Please submit this online form to volunteer by Friday, September 21. Parents will need to provide their own transportation. You can also support the day by providing dessert or drink for lunch. Advisers will have a sign-up for their groups.
We are very excited about this day. This is what we stand for as a school. In the words of Catherine McAuley, "No work of charity can be more productive of good to society, or more conducive to the happiness of the poor, than the careful instruction of women."
We Are Mercy and Together We Can Make A Difference! Thank you!