**We are evaluating and will make necessary adjustments to the academic program and school life calendar, including senior events, to best serve our students. Many dates and details will be finalized and communicated the week of April 6.**
Dear Mercy Class of 2020 and Parents/Guardians,
We hope everyone is well and staying safe. We truly miss seeing all of you around the school and miss your excitement surrounding this time of the year. Please know we are working hard behind the scenes to ensure that you still have an unforgettable end of senior year experience and are committed to keeping traditions intact, as best we can. We recognize the end of senior year generates life-long memories.
As you may know, we are evaluating and will make necessary adjustments to the academic program and school life calendar. These details will be communicated early next week.
With the announcement of school closing for the rest of the school year we, along with administration, would like your input as we explore options for your Prom celebration. Please answer the linked questionnaire so we may be able to make decisions about Prom with your wishes and safety in mind.
Thank you so much and God bless all of you. May God continue to protect everyone and your loved ones.
Dear Seniors Class of 2020,
I recognize the anxiety and range of emotions you may be experiencing. You should know that everyone at Mercy is “on your side” and we acknowledge the importance of your senior year and the traditions that are part of it.
With the unknown effect that combatting COVID-19 is causing, I would like to assure you of a few things. Mercy High School administration, faculty and staff are committed to preserving your celebrations to the extent possible. As of now, the following is true:
- Val/Sal candidate interviews are scheduled and will take place.
- The Sister Emily George nomination process will move forward. Click here for link to submit a nomination form.
- Teacher of the Year nominations and selection will take place.
- Prom and Graduation venues have been contacted and they are saving our dates. Both will work with us on alternate dates if they are needed.
- The importance of Moving up, Baccalaureate Mass, and honors ceremonies will not be forgotten.
These are indeed unprecedented times that require extraordinary measures from all of us. The uncertainty of the future will continue for awhile, so I cannot propose firm dates or concrete plans at this moment. As things unfold, I will communicate with you.
Meanwhile, please engage in your studies, keep healthy, pray, encourage each other and reach out to all your Mercy sisters.
Once again, I cite the wisdom of Catherine McAuley:
A community in which universal charity reigns, is capable of surmounting all difficulties.
Blessings to each of you on behalf of all administrators, faculty and staff,
Dear Class of 2020,
We know there are some concerns over what the future holds for senior events. We assure you that as we move closer to these dates, we will be working with the administration to ensure your safety and health while also considering how to make your senior year special.
Given that, as of right now there are no changes to any of these events. However, as the situation is fluid, we will communicate with you about these events as need be.
For now, please be aware of the following information, which will also be communicated to your parents and posted on both the class of 2020 Schoology page and the senior webpage. If any information changes, we will be sure to communicate it to you.
- All end of the year forms are due April 7, 2020 on Schoology. This includes the following:
- All Night Party Consent Permission Slip
- Joe Dumars Permission slip
- Joe Dumars Medical Form
- End of the Year Promise
- DVD order form can now be submitted online to Schoology or given to Mrs. Schultheis in S-9 upon return to school. No form will be honored unless $25 has been submitted.
- Graduation dresses still must be approved by Dr. Kreger. Please send any photos of dresses to Mrs. Wojcik at email@example.com for submission.
- Prom is May 13, 2020, at the RoosterTail. Doors open at 7 p.m. and you must be there by 7:45 p.m. You may leave at 11 p.m.—no earlier. All table forms will be emailed and returned—in person—to Mrs. Polan by Wednesday, May 6, 2020. Ticket sales will be April 22 - May 1 online.
- Baccalaureate Mass will be Thursday, May 21, 2020, at 6 p.m. Please arrive by 5:45 for the Mass. The rose processional and refreshments will follow. All are welcome as this is the last Mass for your class and the last time you will wear your cap and gown.
- MANDATORY Graduation Practice: Tuesday, May 26, 2020, at 10 am at the Detroit Opera House.
- Park in the Opera House parking structure and take a ticket if instructed to do so. Mercy pays for your parking on this day ONLY!
- Bring your white shoes to practice in and dress appropriately. It tends to be cold in the Opera House.
- Graduation will be Sunday, May 31 at 2 p.m. at the Opera House. Students must be there by 1 p.m. Doors open for guests at 1:30 p.m. and seats are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Senior All-Night Party will be Sunday, May 31, 2020, at Joe Dumars Fieldhouse. Mercy doors will open at 10:15 p.m. and buses will leave around 10:45 p.m. Students will return to Mercy around 5 a.m.
We understand there are a variety of questions and concerns surrounding these events, but we assure you that all information will be communicated in an efficient and timely manner. We are committed to assisting in making your senior year a memorable year.
Your Senior Moderators - Mrs. Polan and Mrs. Schultheis
Senior Parents - Lawn Sign and Gift Order Form
Senior DVD/Slideshow - Please submit photographs for the senior class Memory DVD to the media files on your schoology page. Click here for photo submission instructions. Make note of photo deadlines:
- Baby Photos Due DECEMBER 1
- Freshwoman Photos Due SEPTEMBER 30
- Sophomore Photos Due OCTOBER 31
- Juniors Photos Due NOVEMBER 30
- Senior Photos Due MARCH 31
- DVD ORDER FORM $25 DUE APRIL 7
IMPORTANT DATES & DEADLINES
March 13: Service Hours and Reflection Paper
April 7: FORMS DUE - End of Year Promise Due, All Night Party Permission Slips Due, Memory DVD Order From Due
April 27: Senior Survey and Scholarship Notification Deadline
May 1: ALL GRADUATION DRESSES MUST BE APPROVED BY PRESIDENT DR. KREGER - Graduation Gown Requirements
May 13: Senior Skip Day & Senior Prom at the Roostertail
- May 13 from 7:00pm-12:00am. Must arrive by 7:45pm and cannot leave before 11:00pm.
- Price available soon
- Tickets on sale April 22 - May 1 online
- Table Seating forms will be emailed and return to Mrs. Polan by Wednesday, May 6.
- Roostertail Dress Code
- End of Year Promise must be submitted to purchase Prom tickets
May 21: Mercy Celebration Day
- Honors/Moving Up: You will wear your cap and gown for both of these events so be sure to have all parts with you including your medallion. If you are not present for Honors, you WILL NOT be allowed to participate in Moving up. Parents are welcome to attend. Advisee Parties for Seniors and Moving Up in the afternoon in the auditorium (cap and gown).
- Click here for schedule.
- Final celebration Mass. Wear cap and gown as Seniors will need to line up at 5:30pm for procession. Mass at 6pm in Auditorium
- Flower presentation to the Blessed Mother by Seniors after Mass
- Senior Farewell presentation
- Reception in gym with appetizers immediately following
- Parents, families and friends are invited
If you are not present, you are not allowed to walk at graduation. You must be there by 9:45 and breakfast will be served between 9:30-9:50 a.m. It will be a light breakfast and practice will start prompt at 10 a.m. Please park at the Detroit Opera House Parking center at 1426 Broadway Street. Take a ticket when you enter to give to the attendant when you exit. You WILL NOT be charged. Absolutely no food or drink will be allowed within the venue and please keep your cell phones away during the event. If we see them, we will confiscate them. Please dress appropriately. This venue is a historical and beautiful venue so dress appropriately. Bring a sweater and sweatshirt to stay warm. You must bring the shoes you are wearing for graduation also so you can practice walking the stage in them. Do not make appointments/work/etc on the same day for 12:30-1pm. We may run over and will not allow anyone to leave until we are done.
- Detentions. Contact or see Mrs. Tarplin in the Dean's Office.
- Financial (tuition, sweepstakes) Contact Business Office or Dr. Kreger.
- MCAP requirement (service hours completed and reflection paper submitted) Contact Mrs. Griggs-Dennis in the Pastoral Ministry Office.
- Senior Survey Contact Mrs. Burek in the Counseling Office
- Detroit Opera House, 1526 Broadway Street, Detroit, MI 48226
- Click here for link to the graduation seating chart (link coming soon)
Students and faculty will arrive at 1:00 p.m. and enter through the Stage/Security door off Madison.
Families will line-up at main entrance doors on Madison. Doors will open at 1:30 p.m. or earlier if Opera House is prepared and people are lined-up.
Ushers will pass out programs provided by Mercy High School.
Seating first come, first serve and is available on the main floor and balcony.
More specific information will come at a later date about which side of the building your daughters will be exiting on and where they will be seating so you can plan accordingly.
Accessible seating for patrons in wheelchairs and a companion is available on the main floor.
Seniors must arrive at 1:00pm to line up and receive roses. Please report to backstage when you arrive and leave personal belongings (purses, cell phones, etc) with a family member.
A professional photographer will take pictures of each graduate as she receives her diploma
Video is taken of the entire ceremony and will be posted online to Vimeo. The Vimeo link and login information will be sent when available so you can view, download and save the 2019 graduation.
Following graduation, all seniors who have submitted required permission forms will enjoy one last night with each other as a class. Mercy Lobby doors will open for check-in at 10:15pm. Students will board buses and leave Mercy at 10:45pm for Joe Dumars Fieldhouse. The ending time is 5:00am. Students are asked to wear shorts and closed-toe shoes. They do not need to bring anything and phones will be left at Mercy so the students can truly enjoy being together one last time. If you have any SANP questions, please contact Dean of Student Affairs Mrs. Eleasha Tarplin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mercy High School Graduation is a formal academic commencement ceremony. As such each graduate is to be dressed in a modest, white gown. In order to participate in the graduation ceremony, every student must have her white graduation gown approved by Dr. Cheryl Kreger or her assistant, Mrs. Marlene Wojcik. You are welcome to bring your choice of dress to the Advancement Office for approval at any time during the school year, but it must be approved by graduation rehearsal.
- Graduation Gown Requirements
Senior All Night Party Forms available on Schoology due April 7, 2020
End of Year Promise Form available on Schoology due April 7, 2020
Extra graduation ticket request form available in May 2020
Contact Info Emails